1 - 5pm Saturday 2nd June
We’re getting ready for the fair this week – and looking for five strong and fit young people to help us set up from 9am to 11am on Saturday morning, with a payment of £20 per person for the work. This will include moving tables and setting up marquees.
We are also very grateful to everyone who has offered to volunteer during the day, helping to set up and decorate the bandstand and stalls from 10am to 1pm, then man stalls and steward in the afternoon, and clear up after the fair ends at 5pm.
If anyone can commit to doing either of the above, please contact Victoria Sherwin on 0207 926 0394 or at this email address as soon as possible.
The fair this year will include:
- Big Lunch – tables set up for a feast and decorated in traditional street party style
- Food heroes making ice cream and hot food including Sri Lankan food to give away to people at the Big Lunch
- Southwark Concert Band (1pm to 2.30pm) and South London Jazz Orchestra (3pm to 4.30pm) playing music from the 1950s
- Dancing led by Swing Patrol (www.swingpatrol.co.uk) from 3pm
- Performance by MacAlpines dance school
- Memory tent for people to remember the park as it was since the 1950s
- Children's fairground and 1950s children’s games
- Community stalls
- Baking competition
- Playground with water play
- Plant sales
How can you get involved?
- Dress in 50s style or in red, white and blue
- Bring along food to share at the Big Lunch
- Bring along memories of the area since the 1950s to share
- Best interpretation of a Jubilee cake
- Best vegetable cake
Enter your cake by 3pm at the marquee near the bandstand, results announced 4pm
No prizes: just the pleasure of knowing you are crowned best Myatt’s Fields Park baker in your category 2012!
VOLUNTEER TO HELP ON THE DAY
We really appreciate help from volunteers with a host of jobs:
* Donate cakes for sale in the café
* Setting up from 10am (putting up tents, moving things around)
* Helping in the cafe (1pm to 3pm; 3pm to 5pm or the whole time)
* Helping on the cake stall, plant stall or barbeque
* Stewarding (helping people with their queries, handing out programmes) 12.30pm to 5pm
* Helping to clear up 5pm - 6pm
GREENHOUSE OPEN DAY 3RD JUNE
Join us in the greenhouse for a gardening session and free lunch during our open greenhouse day on Sunday 3rd June 2012.
We’ll be planting vegetables in the greenhouse from 11.30am to 2pm, with a free lunch at 1pm. If anyone would like to help cook, please turn up at 11am.
For further information contact me at this address.
FOOD SESSIONS AT THE PARK
This weekend’s session will be held during the fair with Food Heroes making hot and cold food to give away to people as part of the Big Lunch.
We pay food heroes £40 to teach other people about the food they know and love. No experience needed and you will be supported by our food manager Rebecca Maddox during the session. If you are interested in becoming a food hero please contact Rebecca Maddox firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAMILY COOK AND EAT BREAKFAST CLUB
We will be making fruit salad rainbows at the family cook and eat breakfast club this Friday 1stJune, which takes place in the Mulberry Centre from 9am to 10.30am.
Parents and children cook and eat together during these sessions, which are free.
RETIRED PEOPLE'S LUNCH CLUB
Retired people are welcome to come and eat lunch made with vegetables and fruit from the greenhouse at the depot from noon each Friday.
The family cook and eat, food heroes and retired people’s lunch club are all funded by the Big Lottery Fund’s Local Food scheme and are free to all participants.
MYATT’S FIELDS PARK FAIR AND BIG LUNCH
1 - 5pm Saturday 2nd June - Details