Volunteer litter picking
Sign up to become one of our Litter Legends. Stay safe while you help keep our beautiful park clean.
Why help us clean the park?
You'll be doing something special for your community.
We're a charity (Myatt's Fields Park Project), helping the local community – growing food, hosting support groups and providing a green sanctuary for all.
Work at your own pace, at times that suit you. And get a free tea, coffee or soft drink from The Little Cat Cafe – and 20% off food. Find out more in our FAQs below.
How to sign up
We've made it easy. No forms or documents to print out.
Thank you for helping our community park.
1. Why do we need volunteer litter pickers?
Lots more people are discovering the charm and benefits of our beautiful park. But with more people, comes more litter. And litter is soaring.
It can take all day to clear the rubbish – leaving no time for Myatt's gardeners to look after our green space.
We’re recruiting volunteers to help keep the park spick and span.
2. What will equipment will I be provided with?
- A litter picker
- A pair of disposable gloves (wear at all times)
- Stash of bin bags (you can get more if you run out)
- Hi-vis jacket
- 3 face masks
- 100ml gel sanitiser
- 1 small pack of sanitising wipes
Pick up your starter pack from the cafe while the park offices are closed.
There is a wooden storage-cupboard with extra litter pickers, gloves and bags outside the depot (opposite the main toilets).
3. How do I keep safe from coronavirus?
While volunteering at the park, make sure you:
- Wear the gloves and mask we provide you with.
- Come to the park wearing your own face covering.
- Keep 2 metres apart from all other park users.
Avoid litter picking in spaces where you can’t achieve this.
- Use hand sanitiser as soon as you remove your gloves.
- Avoid touching your face.
Only members of the same family or household will have the option of working in pairs.
While the park’s toilets are closed, you can use an automatic hand-sanitiser dispenser next to the Park Depot offices and at The Little Cat Café.
4. What if I feel ill or have been in contact with someone who feels ill?
Don’t come to the park if you, or anyone you have been in contact with, has any of these symptoms:
- a high temperature (above 37.8°C)
- a new, continuous cough
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
Stay at home for 14 days and follow the latest guidance. And please inform the Park Manager on 07483346680.
5. What do I need to do before I start?
Complete the online application form, which involves agreeing to our terms and conditions. Read how to lift safely. Then collect your starter pack from the cafe or Park Depot offices.
6. When will I pick litter?
Whenever you’re available. Help yourself to the equipment in the storage cupboard if you forget your own – outside the depot (opposite the main toilets)
7. How long will I litter pick for?
One hour. But if you need to leave early, or can stay later, that’s fine – we appreciate anytime you can spare.
8. How should I litter pick the Park?
Walk around the Park picking anything you see. Concentrate on the cafe, the bandstand, wildlife area and quiet garden.
9. Should I pick litter in the enclosed spaces?
No. We will get special council permission to access these spaces.
10. What should I do with the rubbish once collected?
Fill a bag, tie it up with a knot and place it in the wheelie bins next to the Park Depot.
Please don’t leave the bin bags next to the small bins in the Park – foxes tear them open and release the rubbish again.
Don't try to lift anything that is too heavy for you. How to stay safe when lifting.
11. What if I see any problems in the Park?
Please phone the Park Office on 020 7737 6097.
We recommend that you join the Litter Legends WhatsApp group to support each other.
12. If I find any hazardous litter, what should I do?
Hazardous waste includes needles, dog poo, broken glass and chemicals – or anything you’re unsure about.
Never handle hazardous waste. Please report it to the park office (020 7737 6097) or Park Manager (07483346680).
13. What if I find a needle?
It would be a rare occurrence in our park. But if you find one, report it to the park manager on 07483346680.
14. What if someone asks me a question I don’t know the answer to?
Please refer them to our website (www.myattsfieldspark.info). Or ask them to email the manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If they want to volunteer, that’s great. Please thank and ask them to email us (email@example.com).
15. What should I do if I feel unsafe?
If you encounter any anti-social or aggressive behaviour – don’t engage. Walk away and make yourself safe.
When you are safe, call the emergency services (999) if you think someone is in danger.
Please report any disturbance to the Park Manager on 07483346680.
16. What do I need to do at the end of my shift?
Please tie up all bin bags and take them to the large wheelie bins next to the Park Depot.
Use hand sanitiser and wash your hands immediately after removing you gloves.
Then text WhatsApp or email the park manager to let her know how many bags you collected.
We will keep a tally to spot peak periods when we need more volunteers. And we’ll use the stats to celebrate your success.
17. Will we litter pick all year?
The Park is quieter and less littered in the winter. At the moment, we’re litter picking from late April until October.
18. If I can’t make my shift what should I do?
Please let us know asap so a replacement volunteer can be found. If you can no longer volunteer, drop your kit (litter pickets and hi-vis jackets) off in the Park Depot offices or at the cafe.
19. How do I get my free drink?
A member of staff will accompany you to The Little Cat Cafe. While you are in the park volunteering, you can get a free tea, coffee or soft drink, and 20% off food.
20. Anything else I need to know?
Work within your own limits at a speed that’s comfortable for you. And only carry the weight of bag you can manage.
It’s not a race. We really appreciate anything you’re able to clear for us.
Please help to look after each other on your shifts.
Thank you so much for your amazing support!